Welp…we’re back from Florida. I’m tan and peeling all at once. I’ve got pictures to share, but they’re on Chris’s computer and he’s on the road again.
Chris and I have been searching for a rug for our living room for what seems like eons. We finally thought we’d found one that would lighten the room and warm things up, but when it arrived, our tan and grey beauty was yellow and iridescent blue.
Fail. After debating whether or not to commence a new internet search, I had an epiphany. New puppy + new rug= a terrible idea. Rather than spend a buttload on something that could potentially be ruined in a mere two weeks when we bring the little guy home, I opted for a simple cream rug that didn’t break the bank…and I’m actually really happy with it. Before I show you the new rug, I want to show off my pelmet boxes. What’s a pelmet box? I didn’t know either…until I stumbled upon a tutorial while searching for DIY valences for the living room windows. We finally decided on a fabric…Indigo Balik by P. Kaufmann. For those of you that aren’t in the market for inexpensive valences, I’ll show off my finished product and spare you the details:
A quick reminder of what this room looked like only a few weeks back:
Now for the how to:
For this project I used:
-a yard of fabric per window
-a yard of 6oz batting per window
-foam core board (on sale for $0.99 per sheet at Michael’s–I used 8 sheets for 5 windows)
-duct tape, scissors, exacto knife, 1/4″ staples and staple gun
-3olb PerfectHang picture hanging kits from Home Depot ($3.99/window)
First I taped out on the windows the approximate size I wanted, then measured the foam core board and cut to size with an exacto knife. I found the foam wasn’t as long as I needed for each window, so I taped together the junctions of the pieces.
You’ll need three pieces of foam board per window; you’ll need the front large piece, and two side pieces. My front piece for a single window was 36.5 x 14, and the sides were 2.5 x 14. When you tape them together, be sure you have the side pieces aligned at a ninety degree angle. The fabric will reinforce this angle when you staple it, but the best way I found to initiate the angle was to take a thin piece of duct tape and kitty-corner it (one on top, one on the bottom), then place a full-width piece of duct tape down the entire “binding”.
I then ironed the fabric, and cut the batting and fabric so that I had enough to wrap around the foam board. Two things that were essential in getting this part perfect:
-Be sure to cut the pieces of fabric large enough to wrap the back side of the boxes as well as the front (you might be able to see the backs from the outside of the house)
-Be sure to cut the exact same piece of the pattern in the fabric for all of the windows so that the boxes are consistent. They won’t look nearly as polished if the pattern displayed in each window isn’t the same (more on this below)
I used my staple gun to staple the batting around the boxes:
Then I wrapped and stapled the fabric. The trickiest part here is to ensure you line up the pattern exactly the same on each of the boxes (as mentioned above). You can see what I mean here by looking at the consistency between the bulbous thing showing halfway at the top and in-full at the bottom, and the grape-like thing showing in-full towards the upper-middle:
After the boxes were done, I had to really think about how to get them on the wall. None of the tutorials I found had any instructions on this (I found this tutorial most helpful). I used the PerfectHang shown above, and screwed the pieces into the back of the fabric and board with a screwdriver. I placed the D-rings about 2.5 inches in and down from the corners of the top of the box.
To estimate where to hammer the wall anchor in, I marked the middle of the window with a pencil, then I held the pelmet box up to the window, held the wall anchor against the wall with the wire in place and raised and lowered it until it was just right, then I pushed a little on the wall anchor (which had the nails resting in it) against the wall to give me a reference for the nail.
Then I nailed the anchors, hung the boxes, and felt overwhelmingly satisfied with my inexpensive little pelmet boxes. And one more time for good measure: